Baked Honey Mustard Chicken – Cooking Classy
Baked Honey Mustard Chicken – Made with lean chicken breasts, a sweet tangy sauce blend of sweet honey and a trio of vibrant mustards, and it’s infused with caramelized onion, garlic and rosemary for more depth. It’s simple yet so flavorful!
Baked Honey Mustard Chicken Recipe
You can have this Honey Mustard Chicken on the table in under 45 minutes! And there’s minimal hands on prep work since it’s baked, no tending to the chicken in a skillet.
I think you’ll love the multi-dimensional depth of flavor this easy chicken recipe has, and the slight texture from the coarsely ground mustard. It keeps things deliciously interesting.
I recommend serving it with brown rice or white rice, or fresh cooked noodles tossed with butter, along with a vibrant green steamed vegetable such as broccoli, asparagus or green beans. All making this an easy balanced meal.
Honey Mustard Chicken Ingredients
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Three types of mustard (whole grain, yellow and Dijon)
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Yellow onion
How to Make Honey Mustard Chicken
- Whisk together the mustards, honey and olive oil.
- Saute onion and garlic over medium heat to slightly soften, then spread onto the bottom of the baking dish.
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper, then lay over the onion layer.
- Pour mustard mixture over chicken, turning to coat evenly.
- Lay rosemary sprigs between chicken breasts.
- Bake chicken until cooked through, covering with foil to prevent sauce from burning if necessary.
Can I Use Chicken Thighs Instead of Chicken Breasts?
Yes, chicken thighs will work great as well. Just use boneless skinless chicken thighs for approximately the same cook time (you may just need to increase by 5 minutes or so).
Can I Use Whatever Mustard I Have on Hand?
Yes, if you don’t have the three types of mustard listed in the recipe, feel free to use whatever you have. Your honey mustard sauce won’t taste the same as this version but will still be delicious!
How to Tell When Chicken Is Cooked Through
- You’ll know when the chicken is finished baking when it’s no longer pink on the inside and the juices run clear.
- I also recommend an instant read thermometer to test for doneness.
- The center of chicken breasts or thighs should register 165 degrees F in the center of thickest portion when the chicken is done.
Tips for the Best Honey Mustard Chicken
- For the extra depth of flavor allow enough time for the onions to brown and caramlize a little in the skillet. Stir them occasionally so they don’t burn.
- Cook times with chicken breasts will vary based on their size. I recommend using about 6 – 8 oz breasts, and if they are much larger I’d cut them into halves through the thickness so they don’t take forever to bake.
- Preferably let the chicken rest for about 5 minutes after you take it out of the oven before serving. This allows the juices of the chicken to evenly redistribute before sliced, resulting in juicier chicken.
More Easy Chicken Recipes You’ll Love
Baked Honey Mustard Chicken
Made with lean chicken breasts, a sweet tangy sauce blend of sweet honey and a trio of vibrant mustards, and it’s infused with caramelized onion, garlic and rosemary for more depth. It’s simple yet so flavorful!
- 4 to 5 (8 oz each) boneless skinless chicken breasts or 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/4 cup whole grain, coarse mustard
- 2 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp yellow mustard
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic (3 cloves)
- 4 small sprigs rosemary
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a mixing bowl, whisk together coarse mustard, dijon mustard, yellow mustard, honey and 1 Tbsp olive oil. Spray 13 by 9-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
In a small skillet, heat remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and saute about 8 minutes until golden brown, then add garlic and saute 30 seconds longer. Pour into prepared baking dish and spread into an even layer.
Season each chicken breast with salt and pepper on both sides, then set chicken over onion layer in baking dish.
Pour mustard mixture evenly over chicken, working to cover each chicken breast entirely. Lay sprigs of rosemary between chicken breasts.
Bake in preheated oven 25 to 30 minutes until chicken registers 165 degrees in center of thickest portion. If needed tent with foil near the end of cooking to prevent sauce from burning. Spoon sauce over chicken to serve.
Baked Honey Mustard Chicken
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 63
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 1g6%
Vitamin A 45IU1%
Vitamin C 3mg4%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Recipe updated Feb. 2023. Recipe adapted from Good Life Eats.