Best Banana Pancakes (Healthy Banana Pancakes)
These are seriously the best banana pancakes on the internet! Made with whole grain flour, ripe bananas, and coconut oil, this healthy banana pancake recipe is the perfect weekend breakfast.
Best Banana Pancake Recipe
Good morning banana pancakes, you’ve never looked more beautiful. We are HUGE pancakes fans here at Fit Foodie Finds. We love all kinds – Carrot Cake Pancakes, Peanut Butter Pancakes, Chocolate Chip Pancakes, and Lemon Ricotta Pancakes to name a few.
These Banana Pancakes are plain and simple the best pancakes on our site. Why? Because they are basic, yet so perfect. We have a tradition in our house called Pancake Saturday (and sometimes Pancake Sunday) and this banana pancake recipe tops the charts.
What makes these Healthy Banana Pancakes?
If you’re wondering why we’re referring to these as Healthy Banana Pancakes, here are a few reasons why:
100% whole grains
No refined sugar
What You Need
- white whole wheat flour – all-purpose flour will likely work 1:1 but do not try and substitute coconut flour and/or almond flour.
- baking powder – baking powder is used as the leavening agent.
- cinnamon – cinnamon brings out the sweet banana flavor. Don’t skip it!
- banana – the STAR ingredient if I do ay so myself.
- eggs – do not omit or swap your eggs for a flax egg. We have not tested that in this recipe. If you’re looking for Vegan Banana Pancakes <– try these.
- vanilla – tired of vanilla? Try a splash of almond extract.
- almond milk – any kind of milk works!
- melted coconut milk – feeling fancy? Use melted butter OR brown butter instead of coconut oil.
The Key Ingredient for banana pancakes
The key ingredient to bananas pancakes is –> BANANA. But, not any old banana. Make sure you use ripe bananas, like the kind with the spots.
If anything, make sure your bananas are bright yellow in color. If they’re green, they’re not going to be super sweet.
How to Make Banana Pancakes
Ready to make healthy banana pancakes in 30 minutes flat? Let’s get started! Remember to scroll down to the recipe card for the full ingredient list and directions.
First, combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Use a whisk to combine everything together and set aside.
Next, us a fork to mash your bananas until there are little to no lumps left. Then, add eggs and scramble them into the banana.
Add vanilla and almond milk and mix again.
Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet mixing together until there are no dry lumps.
Finally, add in melted coconut oil and mix one more time to combine.
Heat a nonstick skillet or griddle over medium heat. Then, spray with coconut oil cooking spray. Option to use butter here instead.
When the oil is hot, scoop about 1/3 cup of the batter onto the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, flipping when the bubbles start to form in the center of the pancakes.
Make sure to keep an eye on your banana pancakes so that they don’t burn. Repeat this process until all of your pancake batter is gone.
Best Banana Pancakes Toppings
A pancake isn’t a pancake without its toppings. Here are our favorite banana pancakes toppings!
- Maple Syrup
- Sliced Banana
- Nut Butter
- Coconut Flakes
Banana Pancake Variations
- Use applesauce: can’t do banana? Simply swap the mashed banana for about 1 cup of applesauce or even pumpkin. Any pureed fruit will work.
- Add chocolate chips: Chocolate chips make everything better, try adding 1/2 cup of chocolate chips to the batter.
- Berries: banana blueberry pancakes? YES PLEASE. Add 1 pint of your favorite berry (fresh or frozen) to your banana pancake batter.
- Make Pancake Muffins: pancake muffins are one of my favorite things to make when I’m feeling extra lazy. All you have to do is fill a muffin tin with batter and bake at 350ºF for 15-17 minutes. Try our Banana Pancake Muffin Recipe!
- Add Protein Powder: Swap 1/4 cup of flour for 1/4 cup of your favorite protein powder.
Breakfast Potatoes: Crispy breakfast potatoes + banana pancakes is a winning combination, no doubt.
Bacon: Bacon + banana pancakes is a straight-up dream. If you’re cooking for a crowd, try our Oven Baked Bacon or try our Air Fyer Bacon or Microwave Bacon if you’re cooking for 1 or 2.
Peanut Butter: Whether you’re using homemade peanut butter, Jif, or my favorite, Smucker’s, peanut butter ALWAYS goes good with banana.
Eggs: Want a little extra protein? Whip up some fluffy scrambled eggs or even make 1 or 2 hard-boiled eggs!
Got leftover healthy banana pancakes? Let them cool completely and then transfer them into an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 3-5 days.
Can You Freeze Banana Pancakes?
Pancakes are such a great make-ahead breakfast recipe. Follow these quick directions for how to freeze banana pancakes + how to thaw them too!
- Let pancakes cool completely. Then, wrap 2 pancakes together with a piece of tin foil. Remove as much air as possible.
- Write: Banana Pancakes on the tin foil along with the eat by date (3 months from the time you made them) on it as well.
- Repeat until all pancakes are gone. Freeze for up to 3 months.
To thaw + Reheat:
- To thaw, remove a pair of pancakes from the freezer.
- Remove tin foil and let sit for a few minutes so that you can separate the 2 pancakes.
- Place pancakes in the toaster and toast for a few minutes. Alternatively, you can defrost in the microwave.