Crockpot Chicken and Vegetables – Lexi’s Clean Kitchen
This Slow Cooker Chicken and Veggie Dinner is everything you want for dinner made in one dish. Tender, juicy chicken and hearty, flavorful veggies are cooked with fresh herbs in a flavorful sauce.
Easy Crock Pot Dinner Recipe
I love one pot meals…especially when they’re made extra hands-off in the slow cooker!
This easy one pan chicken and veggies recipe is one of my favorite crock pot dinners! It’s made with tender and juicy chicken thighs, a hearty blend of veggies, and a dreamy, mouthwatering sauce.
You can make this crockpot chicken and vegetables recipe as-is or customize it with your favorite veggies! Throw it together in the morning, then come home to the perfect dinner!
Ingredients Needed for this Slow Cooker Chicken and Veggie Dinner
This crockpot chicken and vegetables recipe is made with the heartiest and healthiest ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Butter: I recommend grass-fed butter for the best flavor.
- Aromatics: We’re creating a flavor base with the classic garlic and onion combination.
- Veggies: Our veggie blend consists of diced carrot, potato, and celery. Feel free to customize with other veggies if you prefer.
- Fresh Herbs: You’ll need fresh thyme, sage, rosemary, and oregano. They add tons of delicious flavor to the meal.
- Chicken Thighs: I recommend bone-in chicken thighs. They hold up better in the crockpot and have the juiciest texture.
- Salt and Pepper: To season the chicken before cooking.
- Sauce: We’re making a delicious, flavorful sauce with a combination of chicken broth, fish sauce, fresh ginger, red pepper flakes, sea salt, and black pepper.
How to Make Slow Cooker Chicken with Veggies
This slow cooker dinner could not be simpler! Simply throw everything into the crockpot, let it cook, then dig in.
Here’s a breakdown of the recipe. Scroll to the recipe card below for ingredient amounts and full instructions.
- Combine: Add the butter, garlic, onions, carrots, potatoes, celery, and herbs into your crockpot. Season with salt and pepper. Pat the chicken dry, season with salt and pepper, then place on top of the veggies.
- Add the sauce: In a bowl, whisk together chicken broth, fish sauce, ginger, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Pour over the chicken and veggies.
- Cook: Cover the crockpot and cook on high for 3 hours or on low for 7 hours.
- Bake and serve: Preheat your broiler on high, place the cooked chicken onto a baking sheet, and broil on high until the skin is crisped. Serve with veggies and extra sauce.
Can You Put Raw Chicken in a Slow Cooker with Vegetables?
Yes! It’s totally safe to put the raw chicken with the veggies in the crock pot—as long as the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165ºF.
Is It Better To Slow Cook Chicken on High or Low?
Either one! Usually, low is recommended because the longer, slower cooking time creates the most tender chicken. BUT, if you’re lower on time, high works just fine too.
Do whatever works best for you!
Tips and Notes
- Crisp the chicken. Broiling the chicken for a couple of minutes at the end is optional, but definitely recommended. It gives the skin that delicious crispy texture.
- Make it dairy-free. Simply omit the butter or use a dairy-free variety.
- Add other veggies. Feel free to sub in whatever veggies you like. Try sweet potato, bell pepper, green beans, asparagus, broccoli, you name it.
While you can totally serve this crockpot chicken and vegetables on its own, especially since it’s hearty with potatoes, you can’t go wrong with simple side dish pairing!
Enjoy it alongside:
My Favorite slow cooker
KitchenAid 6-Qt. Slow Cooker
KitchenAid’s slow cooker lets you plan ahead, cooking up healthy dinners, soups and even breakfast. Easy-read LCD display lets you choose from low, medium, high and warm settings and program up to 24 hours in 30-minute increments.
How to Store
Leftover chicken and veggies will last in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
To reheat, warm in the microwave or in the oven at 350ºF until heated through.
Other Crock Pot Recipes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 onion diced
- 3 carrots diced
- 5 potatoes diced
- 3 celery stalks diced
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 stems fresh sage
- 3 stems fresh rosemary
- 1 small bunch fresh oregano
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs
- Salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Place the butter, garlic, onions, carrots, potatoes, celery, and herbs in the insert of your slow cooker. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper.
Pat the chicken dry and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Place on top of veggies in the slow cooker.
In a small bowl, whisk together sauce ingredients and pour over the chicken.
Place on high for 3 hours, or on low for 7 hours.
Once done, preheat your broiler on high. Transfer chicken to a baking sheet and broil on high for 1-3 minutes to crisp up the chicken skin.
Serve chicken with vegetables and extra sauce. Taste and adjust salt and pepper as desired.
You can add in different veggies, such as sweet potatoes or peppers, if desired.
Calories: 517kcalCarbohydrates: 50.8gProtein: 26gFat: 23.3gSaturated Fat: 8.8gCholesterol: 110mgSodium: 501mgFiber: 8.5gSugar: 6.8g