Fresh and Creamy Avocado Salad Recipe
Creamy avocado, piquant onions, juicy tomatoes, and a tangy lemon dressing join forces in this simple recipe for Avocado Salad. This tasty side takes just 15 minutes to prepare, so it makes a regular appearance on our table during warmer months. Plus, it’s both naturally gluten-free and vegan, making it an excellent choice for any crowd.
About Avocado Salad Recipe
Friends, I have a feeling you’re going to fall head over heels for this delicious Avocado Salad recipe.
First, let’s talk taste. The subtly sweet, smooth, and creamy flavor of the avocado gives a sharp contrast to the crisp spiciness of the onions, the juicy acidity of the tomatoes, and the tart lemon dressing. The herbs and spices give a warm, earthy flavor that’s reminiscent of Guacamole.
Aside from being delicious, this simple side dish is also quick and easy to prepare. It is a breeze to make this avocado salad; you’ll be done in just 10 to 20 minutes!
The salad is wholesome and healthy. With tons of veggies and heart-healthy fats, this is a side dish you can feel good about eating.
It is made with just ten ingredients. A short ingredient list is further proof of how simple this recipe is to make.
Ingredients & Substitutions
As promised, you don’t need much to make my ridiculously tasty avocado salad recipe. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Avocados – If possible, use Hass avocados. Always use ripe avocado to get the best taste and texture. If the avocados are not ripe, then keep them in a brown paper bag and place them on the kitchen counter for a few days till they ripen.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – The slight peppery and herban flavor of evoo pairs so well with the avocado and the rest of the ingredients.
- Lemon – You’ll want both the zest and juice for the brightest flavor.
- Smoked Paprika – The addition of smoked paprika in the dressing adds a touch of smokiness and heat that is utterly delicious. If you do not have smoked paprika, then you can easily substitute with cayenne or red chilli powder.
- Garlic – Freshly minced or finely chopped garlic has the best flavor, but feel free to use garlic powder if needed.
- Onion – Any color of onion will work here, but I tend to reach for either red or sweet yellow onions for raw applications. You can also use green onions (scallions) if you prefer.
- Tomato – Choose ripe summer tomatoes, or opt for greenhouse-grown cherry tomatoes if they are not in season.
- Fresh Parsley or Cilantro – A sprinkling of herby goodness is a lovely addition to this fresh summer salad.
- Black Salt – While optional, kala namak adds a little pop of sulfurous flavor that we just adore.
- Salt & Cracked Black Pepper – Add these simple seasonings to taste.
How To Make Avocado Salad
This simple salad comes together in a snap! Here’s how it’s done:
Make Salad Dressing
1. In a small bowl, add 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil and the zest from 1 small lemon.
2. Add 1 to 2 teaspoons lemon juice.
3. Add ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika, ¼ teaspoon black pepper and 1 small to medium clove of garlic (minced or finely chopped).
Note: In place of smoked paprika you can use ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, sweet paprika, or red chilli powder.
You can also use ¼ teaspoon garlic powder in place of the fresh garlic clove if needed.
4. Mix very well and keep the dressing aside.
Prepare Avocado & Veggies
5. Finely chop 1 small onion, chop 1 medium tomato, and some parsley or cilantro leaves.
You will need ¼ cup finely chopped onions, ⅓ to ½ cup chopped tomatoes, 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley or coriander leaves (cilantro).
6. Place the chopped onions, tomatoes, and parsley in a mixing bowl.
7. Now halve 2 medium-sized avocados.
8. Remove the seeds and scoop out the pulp with a spoon from the avocado halves.
9. Chop the avocado pulp. If you do not want to chop the avocado, then just add the avocado pulp in the bowl. Mash and mix everything together.
Assemble Avocado Salad
10. Place the chopped avocados in the mixing bowl.
11. Give the dressing a quick whisk and pour in the bowl.
12. Season with a dash of black salt (optional), then add regular white salt, or kosher salt, or himalayan pink salt, or edible rock salt.
Adding black salt gives a slight eggy flavor in the salad. I used a mix of both black salt and edible rock salt.
13. Toss and mix well.
14. Serve the Avocado Salad as a side or light main. While serving, garnish with some finely chopped parsley or cilantro (coriander leaves).
Tips & Variations
- Add more crunch: Feel free to add 1 small to medium-sized cucumber in the salad or about ¼ cup finely chopped bell pepper (red or yellow).
- Herbs: Your choice of soft herbs can be added. Cilantro or parsley are my favorite, but feel free to try mint, dill, tarragon, or anything else you prefer.
- Spices: Some ground cumin or ground coriander can also be sprinkled on the salad for a bit of warmth.
- Bright & tangy: For a tangier taste, add 2 to 3 teaspoons of lemon juice.
- Servings: The salad serves 3 if served as a side, or 1 to 2 when served as a main.
- Make ahead: This salad can be made ahead and then refrigerated for a couple of hours. In this case, add the salts right before you serve it. But the salad is best when served fresh, as avocado tends to oxidize and turn brown when exposed to air.
I suggest eating it no more than about 3 to 4 hours after it is assembled, as the avocado will turn brown and bitter due to oxidization.
Absolutely! In fact, I prefer it this way.
It’s excellent as a side with any soups or sandwiches, grilled tofu or paneer, black beans, any Mexican dishes, or even just tortilla chips.
More Awesome Salads To Try!
Please be sure to rate the recipe in the recipe card or leave a comment below if you have made it. For more veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or follow me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Fresh and Creamy Avocado Salad Recipe
Creamy avocado, piquant onions, juicy tomatoes, and a tangy lemon dressing join forces in this simple recipe for Avocado Salad. This tasty side takes just 15 minutes to prepare, so it makes a regular appearance on our table during warmer months. Plus, it’s both naturally gluten-free and vegan.
Prep Time 15 mins
Total Time 15 mins
Prevent your screen from going dark while making the recipe
Making the salad dressing
In a small bowl take the extra virgin olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice.
Add the smoked paprika, black pepper and minced or finely chopped garlic.
In place of smoked paprika you can use ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper or sweet paprika or red chilli powder.
Mix very well and keep the dressing aside.
Making avocado salad
Take chopped onions, tomatoes and parsley in a mixing bowl.
Add chopped avocado.
Stir the dressing again and then pour it on the avocado.
Season with a dash of black salt. Also, add white salt or kosher salt or himalayan pink salt or rock salt.
Toss and mix well.
Serve avocado salad as a side or a main.
- You can add 1 small to medium-sized cucumber in the salad. If you like bell peppers, add about ¼ cup of red or yellow bell pepper.
- Your choice of soft herbs can be added.
- Some ground cumin can also be sprinkled on the salad.
- Instead of parsley you can use cilantro (coriander leaves).
- For a tangy taste, add 2 to 3 teaspoons of lemon juice.
- The salad serves 3 if served as a side and 1 to 2 servings when served as a main.
- Skip black salt if you do not have it and just add regular white salt or table salt.
- This salad can be made ahead and then refrigerated for a couple of hours. In this case just add the salts before you serve. However, best served fresh as avocado tends to oxidize and turn brown when exposed to air.
Fresh and Creamy Avocado Salad Recipe
Amount Per Serving
Calories 267 Calories from Fat 216
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 4g25%
Vitamin A 528IU11%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 2mg10%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin C 20mg24%
Vitamin E 4mg27%
Vitamin K 54µg51%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 116µg29%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
This Avocado Salad recipe post from the archives first published on 17 March 2014 has been updated and republished on March 2023.