Olive Oil Cake Recipe | The Recipe Critic
If you’ve never tried it, (which you definitely should!) olive oil cake has a light and moist texture, with a slightly crispy crust. The flavor is delicate and subtle, with fruity and nutty notes. You will love every bite!
Looking for more cake recipes that are out-of-this-world moist? Try this brown butter almond cake if you’re wanting another nutty dessert, rum cake, or Kentucky butter cake!
Olive Oil Cake Recipe
Olive oil cake is a delicious and unique dessert that has been growing in popularity recently. This cake is made with high-quality olive oil, which gives it its signature rich, buttery flavor and a moist, tender texture. The olive oil adds a slightly fruity, nutty taste that really sets this cake apart from other desserts! Olive oil cake is also made with lemon zest and juice, which add a bright, refreshing flavor that balances out the richness of the olive oil. The flavor is so tasty!
In terms of texture, olive oil cake is similar to a traditional pound cake, but with a slightly denser crumb. The olive oil keeps the cake moist and tender, while also giving it a light, fluffy texture. When baked properly, this cake should be soft and airy, with a delicate, melt-in-your-mouth quality. It’s a delight to eat! This cake is a delicious and sophisticated dessert that is perfect for any occasion. Let’s get started!
Who needs a store-bought dessert when you have flour, sugar, and a bottle of olive oil to create the most delicious cake ever! I love this recipe because of all the simple ingredients. Usually, the only things I need to pick up are Greek yogurt and a lemon! If you’re looking for measurements, they can all be found in the recipe card below.
- All-Purpose Flour: Gives the cake structure.
- Granulated Sugar: Adds the perfect sweetness to the olive oil cake.
- Baking Powder and Soda: Help the cake rise so it’s extra light and airy!
- Salt: Just a pinch is all you need. It helps to balance out the sweetness of the cake and also enhance the overall flavor.
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil: I recommend using a high quality olive oil so the cake has the best taste.
- Plain Greek Yogurt: Helps to tenderize the cake and adds a slight tang.
- Large Eggs: Use room temperature eggs so they mix into the batter smoothly.
- Lemon Juice: Fresh is best!
- Lemon Zest: Adds a little extra zesty flavor.
How to Make Olive Oil Cake
This olive oil cake recipe is so simple. Simply mix up all of your ingredients and pop your pan in the oven! You will absolutely love the rich, buttery dessert you end up with.
- Preheat Oven, Prep Pan: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit and then grease a 9 inch round cake pan or springform pan. For easy removal, add a parchment round to the bottom of the pan and lightly grease the parchment paper.
- Dry Ingredients: In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Mix in Wet Ingredients: Add the olive oil, yogurt, eggs, lemon juice and lemon zest to the flour mixture. Whisk until just combined. Don’t overmix.
- Bake: Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cake.
- Cool: Let the cake cool in the pan for 15-20 minutes before removing. Cool the rest of the way on a cooling rack.
- Add Powdered Sugar: Dust with powdered sugar before serving.
Tips and Tricks
These tips and tricks are the key to the perfect olive oil cake. Once you try a bite, you’ll be hooked!
- Olive Oil: Use high quality, extra-virgin olive oil! You don’t have to use the most expensive oil, but a higher quality olive oil will lend a nice fruity, robust flavor to your cake.
- Don’t Overmix: Mix the wet ingredients into the dry only until they are just combined. This will ensure your cake has a tender crumb and doesn’t end up tough.
- Toppings: Serve with a dusting of powdered sugar, Greek yogurt, a dollop of whipped cream or fresh berries if desired.
How Long Does Olive Oil Cake Last?
As long as you store it properly, you’ll be able to enjoy this moist and delicious cake all week long!
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit and grease a 9 inch round cake pan or springform pan. For easy removal, add a parchment round to the bottom of the pan and lightly grease the parchment.
In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Add the olive oil, yogurt, eggs, lemon juice and lemon zest. Whisk until just combined. Don’t overmix.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cake.
Let the cake cool in the pan for 15-20 minutes before removing. Cool the rest of the way on a cooling rack.
Dust with powdered sugar before serving.
Calories695kcal (35%)Carbohydrates68g (23%)Protein11g (22%)Fat43g (66%)Saturated Fat6g (30%)Polyunsaturated Fat5gMonounsaturated Fat30gTrans Fat0.01gCholesterol84mg (28%)Sodium473mg (20%)Potassium194mg (6%)Fiber1g (4%)Sugar35g (39%)Vitamin A123IU (2%)Vitamin C10mg (12%)Calcium83mg (8%)Iron3mg (17%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.